Adams Outdoor Advertising, Ltd. v. Department of Transportation
860 A.2d 600 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2004)

Case Details:

In this case, an outdoor advertising agency had a billboard located in a residential district. The Department of Transportation stated that a change to the billboard constituted abandonment. Because it determined that the billboard was abandoned, the permit for a non-conforming use was no longer valid. The advertising agency asserted laches (an undue delay without a justifiable purpose to pursue an action that prejudices the defendant’s ability to present evidence) as a defense to the revocation of the permit. The court stated that the advertising agency failed to show the requisite “high degree” of prejudice.

The permit for the billboard as a non-conforming use was issued in 1974. The 1974 permit stated that the billboard was “V-shaped” with a wooden base. In 1988, the wooden sign was replaced with a sign made of a single steel base. In a letter sent in 1995, the Department requested the advertising agency to remove its sign because it was deemed illegal since it was “replaced with a new sign and was therefore deemed abandoned.” In 2003, the Department instituted this action.

When a defendant asserts laches as a defense against the Commonwealth, he must show that the Commonwealth delayed in bringing the action against him, there was no justifiable reason for the delay and the delay caused a “high degree” of “actual” prejudice. Examples of prejudice are the death of a witness, destruction of essential records, or a change in position. Because the plaintiff could not show “actual” prejudice, the court did not accept the defense.

No liability is assumed with respect to the use of information contained in this website. Laws may be amended or court rulings made that could affect a particular procedure, issue, or interpretation. The Department of Community & Economic Development assumes no responsibility for errors and omissions nor any liability for damages resulting from the use of information contained herin. Please contact your local solicitor for legal advice.